Instructor Profile - Catherine

Name:
Catherine Jane Swan

Age:
28

What do you teach?
Beginners Pole Fitness

How long have you been in your respective discipline (s)?
I took my first pole class back in… 2009? But only really stuck with pole for the last 3 or 4 years. Rock climbing was my thing back then!

Did you have any prior experience in dance or sport before you started?
As mentioned, I was a climber, I also had done a some yoga but absolutely no dance whatsoever. Having said that, I do think my Mum tried to get me to do ballet when I was about four but I don't think I made it through the first class.

What inspired you to become an instructor?

My pole instructor Stef inspired me to become a pole fitness instructor because I wanted to give people the same feeling of confidence I felt when leaving her classes.

What’s the most important thing about instructing for you?
The most important thing about instructing for me is to understand everyone is built differently, wants different things and does it at their own pace.

What’s a favourite move of yours that might be seen as underrated to others?
I guess it’s more of a transition but I love a pirouette. I feel so pretty when I do them and as someone who was never really a ‘dancer’, this helps me feel it sometimes.

How do you get out of a funk or get your mojo back?
Music. I have maybe 25 songs that I’ve been listening to for about 10 years. I don’t buy albums; I just buy individual songs and play them to death. When I’m in a funk, I put on one of those songs and boogie in whatever way my body wants to without taking myself too serious.

What are your best tips and tricks for putting together a routine?
Having only put together one routine for my instructor assessment, I’m probably not the best person to ask. I guess I would just say pick a song that really moves you and that has lyrical cues if you’re anything like as forgetful as me!

If you owned a restaurant, what kind of food would it serve?
Probably just desserts… and maybe a chip bar with loads of different types: thin french fries, chunky triple cooked chips with a variety of sauces.

If you owned an ice cream truck, what tune would it play?
Boom Shack-a-lack – Apache Indian


What’s your day job?
I’m currently a freelance designer, currently working on illustrations for a children’s book to help them understand loss of a loved one. Before this I was a packaging designer.

What is something you’ve never tried but would like to?
This sounds totally mad… even as I type it, but I’d really like to try storm chasing. I’ve always been fascinated by extreme weather. I might feel differently in the eye of a storm though!

What do you wish you knew more about/of?
To be honest I just wish I had better general knowledge; I am useless at a pub quiz.

What are some small things that can make your day better?
Seeing a dog.
Things arranged in some kind of order, like colour or size.

Tell us something we probably don’t know about you:
Proud owner of a squishy American Bulldog called Rosie.


______________

You can join Catherine's Beginners Pole Fitness class at 8pm on Wednesdays.

To check out our timetable and book upcoming sessions visit: 
https://goteamup.com/p/983042-spin-city-newbury



C x