Instructor Profile - Bambi


Name:
Bambi Newport

Age:
38

What do you teach?
Pole, Hoop, Silks, Pole Silks, Sling
Children’s Pole & Aerial

How long have you been in your respective discipline(s)?
I started pole before it became a structured fitness activity (I remember when twisty grip came in and 50mm poles were standard!), but have properly been poling since 2011.
I first tried hoop and silks over 10 years ago and have been regularly training both for five, maybe six, years.

What inspired you to become an instructor?
I wanted to be able to help others learn and achieve, and to develop my own knowledge of the disciplines.

What’s the most important thing about instructing for you?
I love the rewarding feeling of helping people achieve things they never thought they would, and for being in a position to share my knowledge with others.

What’s a favourite move of yours that might be seen as underrated to others?
Pole: scissor seats – simple, beautiful and so many variations; genie – so many moves can go from this!

Hoop: inside arabesque – pretty and so many lovely transitions

Silks: Nina’s trick – there are SO many moves and shapes from this one move

How do you get out of a funk or get your mojo back?
My journey has certainly had its ups and downs and is very different now to what it was three or four years ago!

I am lucky in that I train a variety of disciplines so when the mojo goes on one I can still achieve on other equipment.

I also start to look at moves/ combos I haven’t done in a while, or maybe don’t think to train as often (eg floorwork!), to remind myself that I can still achieve and enjoy, and I look to include more non-dominant work as achieving moves on your non-dom is just like nailing a brand new move! We all plateau at some point, especially when working on the harder moves and transitions, but as long as we keep taking the little steps, feel like we are making even a little progress each time, and are still enjoying it then we should keep going!

What are your best tips and tricks for putting together a routine?
I tend to pick a song I really like and know all the words to so I won’t get tired of hearing it many times. By knowing the words it makes it easier for working out what move needs to be started/ completed where!

I write a list of moves and combos I want to include and think of where they might fit into the song – ie if there is a flip or drop I will look at a dramatic piece in the music, or a clear beat that will match the action.

I write out the lyrics of the song on one side of paper and then write the moves/ combos that go with the lines on the other side, noting particular words for action eg a certain word might be the start of a combo, or a certain leg/ arm movement.

If you owned a restaurant, what kind of food would it serve?
This is a tricky one as I love ALL kinds of food! I think simple, filling, homely meals – roasts, pies, stews, soups, with comfort desserts like crumbles, pies and sponge puddings with custard! I need my food to really fill me up!

If you owned an ice cream truck, what tune would it play?
Another tricky one! There are so many songs out there that have been on my ‘love’ list for many years. My song would probably have to be Hungry Eyes from Dirty Dancing – I never tire of hearing it, and I did my best ever pole routine to it!



What’s your day job?
Aerial fitness instructor (ad hoc freelance admin/ sales)!


What is something you’ve never tried but would like to?
I’d like to try cyr wheel

What do you wish you knew more about/of?
Within the aerial world I would like to learn more about pregnancy and aerial training.

Outside aerials I’d like to have more competencies in languages – I loved learning them at school and was quite good but I don’t have the time or opportunity to use or study them.

What are some small things that can make your day better?
A couple of years or so ago I decided to concentrate and appreciate the little things in life, being grateful and happy with what I have, which has helped me put things into perspective. This calmer mindset helps in dealing with the bigger issues life can throw at us.

Making a ‘to do’ list for the day and ticking stuff off, being a window and letting things I can’t control pass through me (rather than taking on the stress and allowing myself to be consumed by it when I can’t necessarily address it at that time), being grateful for all things I have (being able to put fuel in the car, seeing a clear sky, being prepared and having planned stuff), a cup of tea. These things help make my day better, and I am much happier because of them – so can approach and deal with life easier.

Tell us something we probably don’t know about you:
I poled in Monaco just before the F1 quali a few years ago.

Michael Flatley rang me on my 25th birthday after having spent hours on a book signing (and I got to meet him the following month and he remembered the phone call).

I love action movies, especially Steven Seagal – I’ve seen him in concert, and met him.

I spent a few days working in an orphanage in Bangkok – and one of the children I looked after had a Bambi t-shirt on (the nurses didn’t know my name was Bambi).

I have an issue with heights - but have been up the studio big ladder to the highest RSJ/ beam.

I poled in Kimi Raikkonen’s and Nico Rosberg’s race suits. I sold Kimi’s race suit to Rupert Grint’s granddad!





 ______________

You can join Bambi at the following classes in Newbury:

Thursday - 6pm - Beginner / Intermediate Aerial Hoop
Thursday - 8pm - Beginner / Intermediate Aerial Hoop

Bambi also offers privates in her various disciplines, 

contact her directly for more information!

To check out our timetable and book upcoming sessions visit:
https://goteamup.com/p/983042-spin-city-newbury


C x