Instructor Profile - Capper (Amy)


©The Image Cella
This weeks beautiful instructor profile is Capper! Something to brighten up your Wednesday for sure!

Name:
Capper (Amy)

Age:
25

What do you teach?
How to be awesome.
[Also silks, hoop]

How long have you been in your respective discipline(s)
FOREVERRRRRR. I started Pole 10 years ago, Hoop 6 years ago and Silks 5. I accidentally did Trapeze this one time.
I’ve been teaching Hoop since 2013 and Silks since 2014. I am qualified to also teach a few other disciplines. 😊

What inspired you to become an instructor?
That’s not how that happened. Kate told me that I was an instructor. [Those were the days!] I keep this tradition alive by choosing my TA’s in a similar fashion.

What’s the most important thing about instructing for you?
The impact we can have on the wellbeing and physical/ emotional health of our students. It’s a big responsibility, and not one to be taken lightly. It scares me more than any other thing about instructing.

What’s a favourite move of yours that might be seen as underrated to others?
Sitting.

How do you get out of a funk or get your mojo back?
I train with my Kaiya or Angela. When I say train I mean build forts and eat cake.

What are your best tips and tricks for putting together a routine?
Put some awesome music on and freestyle. Record it. Pull out the best-looking transitions. Build a routine around them. Slow it down. Add faster parts. Pull out at least half off the tricks you put in and instead flow transitions. Look at your audience. React. Draw them in. No-one enjoys watching an uncomfortable performance. 

Love your routine, enjoy performing it, practice it until you can feel every single transition without touching the equipment. Practice it until you can do it backwards. Then do it backwards. Don’t be scared to change it. Invite honest feedback – but be prepared for honest feedback. Practice every time as if you are performing it. Perform it for your friends, get used to performing it in front of people. If you are entering a competition, use music that people LOVE. Make your judges sing and dance. Feel emotion. Be vulnerable in your performance and open yourself to your audience – show them your passion.

Also no ballet themed routines. No greatest showman. Check that I can’t see your pants through your costume. 

If you owned a restaurant, what kind of food would it serve?
Mexican.

If you owned an ice cream truck, what tune would it play?
The “Go away this is my icecream” song.

What’s your day job?
Difficult and frustrating.

What is something you’ve never tried but would like to?
Being a homeowner.

What do you wish you knew more about/of?
Languages. I envy anyone who can communicate freely in another language.

What are some small things that can make your day better?
Tea. Bananas. Snacks. Puppies.

Tell us something we probably don’t know about you:
I care so much about all my students and co-instructors, and am so proud of every single one of you boss fkn humans.


______________

You can join Capper at the following classes:

Monday - 6.15pm - Beginner/Intermediate Aerial Silks
Monday - 7.15pm - Intermediate/Advanced Aerial Hoop
Monday - 8.15pm - Mixed Ability Aerial Silks

To check out our timetable and book upcoming sessions visit:
https://goteamup.com/p/983042-spin-city-newbury




C x