Scratch Night

Spin City Scratch Night...

This Friday (19th April) Spin City Newbury is hosting a Scratch Night, organised by the awesome Kate Edwards. A scratch night is effectively an opportunity for artists to 'test out' their performances, with music, in costume and with an audience present. We're very excited to see what our students have come up with and some of our instructors will be performing too! 

Performing...

... for me is something I've always wanted to do but when I think about doing it, the fear completely takes over. I truly admire anyone who get's up on stage to entertain an audience!

A few weeks ago, in the hope of working towards performing one day, I taught an entire lesson of choreography to music. It's the first time I'd done so since certifying as an instructor over a year ago. My students loved it and it filled me with such pride to see us all dancing together as a team, even if it was only for 30 seconds. 

Performing doesn't have to be about a totally polished, pristine routine that fits flawlessly to the music (although hats off to those of you who can do so), where your costume is stunning and doesn't malfunction etc. Performing can just be fun. An experience. A laugh. A way to feel some togetherness. A way to hone in on your already badass skills and also something to take pride in, even if you do fluff something up. 

It turns out, that a fair few people I spoke to from our last showcase were terrified too... but they did it anyway because it's something they just wanted to do, for whatever reason. We've all heard the saying "Do one thing everyday that scares you" and here are some people who obviously heard that saying on the day of the showcase.

Claire

Dean Bostock Photography
"My first ever showcase was with Emily's Team Wednesday on pole, I was so nervous but there were 10 of us so it was kind of a bit easier. I was just so worried about slipping so I covered myself in dry hands 😂

A couple of years later I braved my first ever hoop performance which was a solo. I spent lots of time with Jo Maudsley. I was petrified as I don't have a lot of confidence in myself and I'm not as young as the other girls. Also to add to the nerves it was dedicated to my gorgeous husband who had no idea what song it was but it holds a lot of meaning. 
He scooped me up as a single mum with 2 little ones, who he treats as his own and this was my birthday pressie to him to say how amazing he is; his birthday was showcase day.

Afterwards I was very emotional but bloody buzzing that I did it and that my skirt didn't slip over my head during upside down ness thanks to Jen stitching me in to my costume. 

I can't put into words the confidence it gave me and the amazing feeling you have afterwards. I feel a lot of this is down to the love and support you get from our Spin City family. I've also been part of 2 group routines which are insanely fun. I love hanging out with the other girls, working on routines and making new friendships with those I don't normally train with."


Su

Ben Ripley Photography
"Why do I put myself forward for performing? Really, no idea as it terrifies me! 😂

I guess perform because I (for some reason) enjoy doing things that scare me. Afterwards I was so proud that I'd done it and it was such a huge buzz. It was great to show people what I'd been working on, further from the snapshots people see on Instagram and Facebook. 

There was a great atmosphere and the support was amazing. Afterwards, people kept complimenting me with my routine and I was really surprised. I don't take compliments well, so I worry now that I sounded off to people...

Anyway, the day after the showcase I felt so down. There was so much hype and once it was done and we'd scrubbed the glitter off, it was hard to return to reality. Having photos from the evening really helped. And if you are performing, get multiple people to record it! 
It helped to re-live those moments!"


*Su is taking part in our Scratch Night on Friday and we're really proud of her 
and all our students, who perform even though it can be scary!*

Claire (cont.)

"Definitely agree with the after show blues! One year Capper had a Christmas photo shoot the next day which was perfect timing. 

After the last showcase, Becca had an interview with my hubby, so he'd seen her all fabulous, on silks with lights in her hair and then he interviewed her whilst she still had glitter everywhere... 
because we all know that stuff hangs around forever!!"

*Becca got the job by the way!*

Becca P

Ben Ripley Photography
"I did my first performance at the showcase last year. I hadn't performed in front of an audience since secondary school where I used to solo sing for their students concert night! So the thought of doing it was absolutely terrifying, I had so many nightmares where I would fall off the silks or not nail a move and fail epically, but I kept practising until the whole routine was natural to me... 
and I would definitely do it all over again!

I love the atmosphere, I loved all of us getting ready together and helping each other out, 
I loved the glitter, the rush I got when I did my drops and how awesome the crowd was!"


Kayleigh 

Ben Ripley Photography
"I love performing because it's a brilliant chance to dress up and do your hair and make up, honestly anyone who knows me, knows Halloween is my Christmas! It's a chance to play a character and you can be something different every time! 

It's also good as it gives you a goal to work towards and helps you build stamina as well as a chance to show friends and family things you've learnt.


Also... I'm a huge drama queen so it's an outlet for that 😂"

Becca B

Ben Ripley Photography
"I loved performing because it gave me a focus while I was putting together and practising my routine. I really pushed myself to create something that was difficult for me but still achievable and when I pulled it off... it felt amazing because all that hard work paid off. You also form wonderful bonds with the people you've been practising with, and half the time they're the only reason you're able to actually get past the nerves. Having them backstage when you come off, 
being so positive was just the best. Also, I'm a show off, so there's that. 💁




Charlotte

"Reasons I perform: 
  • It's a way for me to feel achievement / pride
  • I am proud of how much I can do in both hoop and silks, why wouldn't I want to show that to the people I love?
  • I like to push myself out of my comfort zone
  • It gives me something to work towards in training and also reminds you of other things to train when you're bored of / avoiding routine practise
  • I really enjoyed getting to know everyone from the group routine and working together to create something
  • Spin City is such a safe place to try new things, I don't see a reason not too
  • It helps to bond with others in the same boat as you, whether it's in a group routine or just others practising for the same night"
  • I hope it inspires others to want to perform too, or try aerials if they're not done it before

Now...

I'm not 100% convinced on performing yet*, but I think committing to something is half the battle and Charlottes right. Seeing people perform so beautifully, having dedicated so much time and energy to a performance, their costume, the musicality of the routine, their makeup, their facial expression etc! etc! is so inspiring. 

And as Becca B says, most of the time, the people you share the experience with are getting you through the anxiety. The feeling you get afterwards is incredible. So if you're considering performing one day; I want you to think about the first class you took... you were probably nervous and scared and thought you weren't going to be able to do anything and now look at you! Your persistence and your passion got you to where you are and I (can only imagine!) this would be the same with performing. 

Practise your movements and only do it, if the fire in you wants to do it. 

*And if you don't ever want to perform... that's completely ok too. It doesn't make you any less great. Or any less capable or any less brave. 

______________

C x