Instructor Profile - Stef

Speeding her way into the blog this week is Stef! 
© The Image Cella

Name:
Stef (Stefani Fisher)

Age: 31

What do you teach? Pole All levels, Pole Silk Workshops

How long have you been in your respective discipline(s)?

7 Years

What inspired you to become an instructor?

I actually was asked whether I’d like to become an instructor, I hadn’t thought about it before that point – but I was always very motivated with my personal training and worked hard to improve my strength. I also really liked the fact that at the studio there was such a diversity of people, whether that’s age, weight, ability, background etc. It made me feel like I could be myself and be successful rather than needing to be slimmer/stronger/better to fit in. This has always been what I try to pass on to students as well.

What’s the most important thing about instructing for you?

Students having fun and going home feeling like they’ve achieved something even if that is an hour of fun with friends away from ‘normal’ life.

What’s a favourite move of yours that might be seen as underrated to others?

Scorpio. It is one of the most useful moves in most combos.
[One of Stef's students noted that a signature move of hers is a bum spin, she loves popping them into a flow]

How do you get out of a funk or get your mojo back?

Have a few varied goals to work towards but mix that up with working on combos – be creative with them – think of your own, research others (using moves you have been taught.) Challenge yourself to be creative with pole flow or work on something different like non-dominant side.

What are your best tips and tricks for putting together a routine?

I prefer to pick a song and work on combos which I can place into certain parts of the music such as the chorus or verse. I then go back and fill in the gaps. Personally, I know that my style is best suited to slower music so I’ll always try to find interesting remixes that are at a slower pace. Some people are the opposite. I also have learnt over the years to not include too much, even now I still have to take out a few tricks but try not to go overboard on the tricks, otherwise it doesn’t flow as nicely and you’ll be exhausted. Lastly I record myself messing around to the music to create pole flows/floorwork, and once all of the routine is in place I do as many run throughs as I can, all of which are recorded so I can self-evaluate the routine and pick on areas to improve, minor things like where I need to look etc.

If you owned a restaurant, what kind of food would it serve?

Pasta. Without a doubt.

If you owned an ice cream truck, what tune would it play?

80s power ballads.

What’s your day job?

Production Manager/Marketing/Artworker for LITTLE TREES Europe 

What is something you’ve never tried but would like to?

A Ninja warrior style assault course – I’m looking for one If anyone knows of somewhere local?

What do you wish you knew more about/of?

Human Behaviour.

What are some small things that can make your day better?

Funny/sarcastic messages from my friends, a good meme, can of coke zero and a toasty warm bed.

Tell us something we probably don’t know about you:

Most people do know this to be fair but it’s probably the most interesting part about me apart from pole dancing – My Dad drag races and I also crew on his car throughout the summer. I’ve been going to the race track since I was only 4 months old and I have myself gained my drag racing license by running an 8.6 second ¼ mile from a standing start at over 160mph.
I hope to be able to race one day, when my budget and other things in life allow.. My Dad is the current MSA Pro Mod Champion (We’ve won this 7 times now) and is also the fastest British Pro Mod racer (5.8 second ¼ mile from a standing start at over 240mph). This year was inducted into the British Drag Racing Hall of Fame, in October this year he unfortunately had a pretty big crash but we’re looking forward to rebuilding a new car and are aiming to be back on the track in 2020.




______________

You can join Stef at the following classes:

Monday - 7.15pm - Mixed Ability Pole Fitness
Thursday - 7pm - Mixed Ability Pole Fitness

Thursday - 6pm - Pole Practise session

Occasional Saturday - 10am - Pole Practise session

Practise sessions are open to anyone who has had at least one class with us at Spin City Newbury.

Please remember to only practise things you've been taught and if needed, seek an instructors advice.

To check out our timetable and book upcoming sessions visit:
https://goteamup.com/p/983042-spin-city-newbury




C x